Experiments with the rose…

Since we were dealing with smoke taint, we tried several thing outside of our norm with the rose.
Some interesting things we learned:

  • The skin contact had a huge influence on the smoke in the juice – what we press the day it came in was great, 36 hours of free run seemed to have some smoke, 36 hours of skin contact plus pressing had a huge impact.
  • PH was impacted by skin contact outside of ranges that many consider normal. 36 hours on the skin moved PH from 3.2 to 3.7. We don’t understand why.
  • Yeast hulls seem to help. We did this as an experiment and word traveled fast. When we called the producer, they already knew we did and asked for our thoughts.
  • Smoke taint might be considered a benefit. Several of our helpers liked it.

For the reds, we have saved lees and will continue to save them. Our plan is to take the reds with smoke taint off of their lees and replace them with smoke free lees. That way, we get the benefit of the lees without the risk. I will write more about that latter.