The Hospitality Manager is one of the key brand ambassadors for Donkey & Goat Winery and can convey the history and uniqueness of our winery in order to sell wine, create advocates, sign up new members and build relationships with current members. They are well spoken, polished, hard-working, take initiative and effectively work well with all staff members for the winery’s benefit.
The Hospitality Manager works extremely closely with the marketing team in order to extend the brand and marketing communications into the Hospitality Experience. This includes menus, signage, merchandising displays and critically important––training for the hospitality staff (Tasting Room + Wine Shop staff) who report to the Hospitality Manager.
The Hospitality Manager will oversee the day-to-day operations of the Donkey & Goat Winery Tasting Room, Wine Shop and Private Experiences which we hope to re-open and grow. This is a big job with unlimited growth potential for the right candidate. This person will immediately evaluate our current offering as well as what we hope to do as California continues to open safely and we can expand our options. As this person grows our hospitality revenue, the more their job can grow, and tasks can be delegated to supporting staff.
DAY TO DAY OPERATIONS FOR WEEKEND TASTINGS
Currently we operate our off-premises wine sales (aka the Wine Shop) 7 days a week from 10a – 5p. We operate our on premise seated tasting experience on Saturday & Sunday from 1p – 5p.
The Hospitality Manager will work Thursday – Monday or Friday – Tuesday as they must be on site both Saturday and Sunday to manage the Tasting Experience.
Like everyone, our onsite offerings dramatically changed in March 2020. As California continues to improve there is endless opportunity to increase capacity, offerings and days open for on premise experiences. Plus, we have yet to offer Private Events since March 2020 which was a sizable amount of revenue in years prior.
Below here is a summary of the day-to-day operations for the weekend tasting experiences.
- INVENTORY MANAGEMENT
- WINE – Manage replenishment from 3rd party Sonoma warehouse where bulk of inventory is stored. Participate in quarterly book inventory.
- FOOD – Manage replenishment via weekly ordering with vendor. Participate in monthly book inventory.
- MERCH – wine keys/t-shirts/hats/hoodies
- PACKAGING MATERIALS -shippers/carry out boxes/totes/bags
- SUPPLIES – Manage or execute replenishment of TP/Paper Towels/Hand Sanitizer/Sparkling Water/etc.
- EQUIPMENT – glasses/plates/cutlery/etc
- Review and approve staff bi-weekly timesheets prior to submitting to Office Manager.
- Monthly schedule
- Weekly line up
- Monthly & Release training on marketing objectives & strategies for selling.
- Goal setting and bonus plan for driving staff to meet revenue and member goals per month and quarter.
- Plan and manage monthly staff meetings.
- Plan and manage quarterly staff field trips.
- Push management to plan and execute quarterly staff appreciation dinners.
- OPTIMIZE WEEKEND RESERVATIONS
- Review reservations and modify by tables to result in the most efficient seating arrangement while maximizing available inventory.
- WEEKEND SET UP
- Manage or execute set-up of onsite tasting space for the weekend.
- Coordinate set up plan with cellarmaster (occasionally cellar work/bottlings/harvest impact set up)
- Set up varies depending on time of year and ability to keep tables up outside.
- Manage or execute set-up of onsite tasting space for the weekend.
- PRE-SERVICE DAILY
- Review staff plan for the day, wines being served, what customers are coming in, what bottles/deals/promos to push, etc.
- POST-SERVICE DAILY
- Reconcile the day.
- END OF WEEKEND
- Return the service area as needed to the cellar.
- RELEASE EVENTS
- Primary point of contact/facilitator for outside vendors
- Work with Management & Marketing to plan and execute day of, including set up, staff, food, wine, signage, menus, fulfilment of pick-up orders and more
- PRIVATE EVENTS
- Potentially assist in closing leads & booking events
- Definitely manage execution which includes set up, staffing, vendors, and wine,
- HIRING – Hire new hospitality staff as needed.
- Review and approve staff timesheets prior to submitting to Office Manager.
- Achievement of revenue goals, experience goals, new member goals and data collection of customers
- Experiences measured by quality and achievement of objectives.
- Effective supervision of Hospitality employees as needed to deliver beyond expectation customer service while achieving sales & member goals.
- Accuracy of inventory management and other operational duties.
- Conversion of experienced guests to wine club members.
- Development and growth of business from expanding capacity & service offerings (sidewalk, member drop in tastings, additional days/hours, etc)
- Quality of relationships with key internal and external companies, individuals, and vendors and other key managers and employees.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- 3+ years of retail, hospitality or customer service experience with at least 1 year of winery tasting room or wine retail experience.
- Supervisory experience is highly desirable.
- Proficiency desired in all Google & Office Applications, all Microsoft Suite products, Vinespring, Square, TOCK
- Proficiency desired in social media to promote availability, especially day of when tables are available for walk ups.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
PERSONAL SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Excellent customer service and sales skills.
- Goal oriented.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to assume leadership roles and make decisions.
- Positive, can do attitude.
- Excellent personnel management skills.
- Ability to work and manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced, dynamic environment, while maintaining a high level of detail.
- Strong relationship-building competency.
- Strong work ethic with the ability to work independently and take initiative.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work.
- Comfortable with numbers and business metrics
- Willingness to embrace and manage change.
- Flexible work schedule based on private experiences and retail tasting room needs.
To apply please email a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. No phone calls or knocks on the door please. Thanks!
For California Residents:
We may collect the following categories of personal information in connection with the submission of your resume or application materials to us for employment, and if hired, your employment with us: identifiers (e.g., name, address, email address, birthdate, passport number); personal records (e.g., telephone number, signature, education information, criminal background information, travel information for interviews); biometric information (e.g., results of urine test); and professional or employment information (e.g., resume, employment history, background check forms, references). We may also draw inferences from the personal information we collect about you, such as information about your abilities and aptitudes. The above categories of personal information are collected for the following business purposes: providing you services and benefits (e.g., recruitment, verifying your information, administering the hiring process); processing interactions and transactions (e.g., to comply with federal and state laws requiring us to maintain certain records, managing the workforce); and security (e.g., detecting security incidents, protecting against fraudulent or illegal activity).