LIB: 2009 Broken Leg Vineyard Pinot Noir

2009 Broken Leg Vineyard Pinot Noir

92pts, Stephen Tanzer, May 2011

Anderson Valley

We have long been teased our Syrah more closely resemble Pinot than many Pinot's these days. So, when Steve Williams at Broken Leg offered to graft his Viognier block to Pinot for us we could not resist the temptation to try our hand. We sorted and de-stemmed 70%, leaving 30% whole cluster. All into our open top wood vats. From there we added nothing, allowing the wild yeast to start fermentation naturally, in this case, 4 days later. We punched down by hand 2-3x/day and pressed after a 17 day maceration or once the wine was dry and cap was ready. 50/50 1yr and neutral FO barrels for aging. The wine stayed sur lie until we racked to tank for bottling in mid July. The wine was bottled with fining or filtration on July 30, 2010.

92pts, Stephen Tanzer, May 2011

Brilliant ruby-red. Sexy aromas of black raspberry, cherry-cola, Asian spices and dried flowers. Vibrant and precise on the palate, offering energetic red and dark berry flavors and a more serious note of bitter cherry. Becomes more floral with air and finishes with notes of candied rose, vanilla bean and anise. Pretty intriguing and already showy; these vines, in a 1.5-acre plot, were grafted over from viognier by Tracey and Jared Brandt in 2006 to satisfy Tracey's pinot jones.

On the nose cherry, spice and forest floor dance out of the glass and tickle the olfactory. The mouth is equally nimble as darker fruit flavors laced with more (asian?) spice skip across the palate until the silky and lingering finish which promises great things for those who wait. This is a light bodied, feminine wine that illustrates the beauty of Anderson Valley Pinot Noir.

Looking for older wines? We might have what you are looking for! Contact us at dgorders@donkeyandgoat.com or give us a call at 510-868-9174 and we will do our best to help.