2004 Carson Ridge Syrah

2004 Carson Ridge Syrah

El Dorado

Our Syrah is picked into 35lb lug bins, transported to the winery in refrigerated trucks and moved along the sorting table and into the crusher/de-stemmer only after passing muster with at least 4 sorters. We de-stemmed 90% and of that left 70% whole berry with the other 30% being lightly crushed. From the crusher we went into our unique 225L barrel fermenters (we pop the tops off older French oak barrels and use them as open top wood fermenters) and on to the ��cold room�� where the ambient temperature is set to 45 degrees F. The juice stayed in the cold room for 48 to 72 hours before being brought out and left to warm up to the natural ambient temperature which was about 68 degrees F. At this point we added 4% of Viognier juice. As the juice slowly warmed up to room temperature fermentation began naturally at about day 6 and continued for 14 days until we pressed (dry) using our gentle hydraulic basket press. From press we went directly to older oak barrels where the wine aged sur-lie for 7 months until it was racked and returned to barrel for another 5 months. Malolactic fermentation began naturally not long after racking and was 100% complete by the end of June. When making our final blend there were 4 (of 7) barrels that clearly stood out as superior so our limited 168 case production is now a super limited 113 cases. Our accountant will not understand but we think you will. Our wine is unfiltered and unfined and will drop sediment so we recommend either pouring from a horizontal (bottle) position or allowing the wine to stand upright for 24 hours prior to serving.

This inky, ruby-purple Syrah is by far our boldest effort and exudes spicy aromas intertwined with meaty components and ripe dark fruit laced with a hint of caramel. A full bodied wine with sweet, round tannins; this is a Syrah to cuddle up with on a cold winter's night.

Looking for older wines? We might have what you are looking for! Contact us at dgorders@donkeyandgoat.com or give us a call at 510-868-9174 and we will do our best to help.