2017 Hard Press Ramato Pinot Gris in Magnum
Often wineries toss out the very last juice from a pressing fearing it might be too tannic or savory. Tracey, who is often one to buck conventional wisdom, not only did not dump the last juice, she revels in it’s savory beauty and bottles it alone in 1.5L Magnums!
Her primary bottling spans from 2-5 days on the skins. The Hard Press is only the juice that spent 5 days, which was a higher ratio of skin contact due to her pulling free run juice previously. The result is a deeper hue, far more savory and dare we say funky aromas and lithe and lingering tannins.
Tasting Note: Always a fun glass to stick our noses into, this version doesn't disappoint with cheerful smells of sweet peas, peeled vanilla and a fresh ocean breeze that puts a smile on our faces. Crushed blueberries and grapefruit rind is the first hint of further flavors exploding in our mouth with wild strawberries as tangerine zest wakes up our senses. Soft tannins are represented well and a hint of the meatiness of cashews balances out this intricate wine.
- Appellation: Anderson Valley
- Vineyard: Filigreen Farm (biodynamic)
- Varietal: Pinot Gris
- Clone: Clone 4 & 152 on 5BB
- Age: Planted 2001
- Elevation: 400 feet
- Soil: Alluvial with gravel & clay loam
- Yield: 2.5 tons/acre
- Harvested: September 12, 2017
- Crushed: September 12, 2017
- Pressed: September 18, 2017
- Blend: 100% Pinot Gris
- Maceration: 5 days in concrete
- Fermentation: French Oak barrels
- Barrel aging: 8 months in once used FO barrels
- Bottled: Unfiltered on May 2, 2018
- Production: 49 cases
- Release date: Fall 2018
Looking for older wines? We might have what you are looking for! Contact us at email@example.com or give us a call at 510-868-9174 and we will do our best to help.