2018 Hard Press Ramato Pinot Gris
Often wineries toss out the very last juice from a pressing fearing it might be too tannic or savory. Tracey, who is often one to buck conventional wisdom, not only did not dump the last juice, she revels in it’s savory beauty and bottles it alone in 1.5L Magnums!
Her primary bottling spans from 2-5 days on the skins. The Hard Press is only the juice that spent 5 days, which was a higher ratio of skin contact due to her pulling free run juice previously. The result is a deeper hue, far more savory and dare we say funky aromas and lithe and lingering tannins.
A wine that keeps things light and bright with the scent of rain and stewy raspberries. At first sip, you get red plum skins, ripe raspberries, and grapefruit peel. It evolves to show notes of green tea, pink peppercorns, and tongue-prickling tannins. Pair with gamey turkey and a generous helping of cranberry sauce.
- Appellation: Anderson Valley
- Vineyard: Filigreen Farm (biodynamic)
- Varietal: Pinot Gris
- Clone: Clone 4 & 152 on 5BB
- Age: Planted 2001
- Elevation: 400 feet
- Soil: Alluvial with gravel & clay loam
- Harvested: September 17, 2018
- Crushed: September 18, 2018
- Pressed: September 24, 2018
- Maceration: 5 days in Nomblot concrete
- Fermentation: Wild yeast & bacteria in neutral French oak barrels
- Barrel aging: 7 months in neutral French oak barrels
- Bottled: Unfiltered on May 1, 2019
- Production: 20 cases
- Release date: Fall 2019
Looking for older wines? We might have what you are looking for! Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or give us a call at 510-868-9174 and we will do our best to help.