2017 Chardonnay, Perli Vineyards
Wilderness farmed Chardonnay in the remote Mendocino Ridge 7 miles from the Pacific.
This is mountain fruit grown a few miles from the Pacific, among the majestic Redwoods and wildlife in the Potato Patch Block at the remote Perli Vineyards. Steve Alden meticulously farms this new project in soils that contain more rock than dirt and heart thumping slopes of 60+%. The resulting wine boasts an energy and backbone worthy of vines that see as many bears as humans.
Tasting Note: Juicy green apple, a squeeze of Meyer lemon, and a saltiness that we can’t quite place except to describe that tension in the air on a foggy coastal day. The glass evolves with eye opening acidity, and citrus profiles of lemon zest, and buddhas hand. The savory identity is balanced well with tart kumquat flavors and orange zest, with just a touch of crunchy honeydew.
- Appellation: Mendocino Ridge
- Vineyard: Perli
- Varietal: Chardonnay
- Clone: Dijon 76 & Robert Young
- Age: Planted 1991 and grafted 2014
- Elevation: 2200 ft.
- Soil: Clay loam over sandstone bedrock
- Harvested: September 12, 2017
- Pressed: September 12, 2017
- Fermentation: Wild yeasts & bacteria
- Barrel aging: 10 months in once used French oak barrels
- Bottled: August 6, 2018
- Production: 57 cases
- Release date: Summer 2020
Looking for older wines? We might have what you are looking for! Contact us at email@example.com or give us a call at 510-868-9174 and we will do our best to help.