2019 The Bear
This nervy Counoise blend is like a Chateauneuf and an Austrain had a lovechild
10% case discounts apply or become a MEMBER for even better discounts and VIP treatment! If your case includes any packs, the discount will be applied after purchase.
2018 The Bear was a Wine & Spirits Top 100 wine.
Our first experience in winemaking began in the Rhône Valley, and our heart and focus stayed with the Rhône for nearly a decade before we branched out to other varietals. In the early years (2005-13) we crafted a Chateauneuf du Pape inspired blend where the name referenced the original thirteen varietals and the first number was how many we had blended (i.e. — Five Thirteen). Like many creators, our inspirations evolved and by 2015 we were crafting a very different wine inspired more by Austrian Reds than Grenache blends from the Southern Rhône. Still working with the same varietals, we found it fascinating that subtle modifications to our winemaking, combined with major shifts in blend composition, could result in a wholly different wine.
The Bear is light on its feet and deeper in structure, like a Rhône blend had a lovechild with an Austrian red. We often compare and contrast the wines with the analogy of muscular strength between a football player and a yogi. The Bear is our yogi and brings us pleasure from her meditative powers as she slowly reveals her charms over hours if not days.
As the name suggests, The Bear is a wild wine for forest seekers and dwellers alike. Fresh like turned soil, peppery, structured, fragrant, and continually offering something new from its well of deep complexity — this wine goes deliciously with fatty sausages, a side of sauerkraut, a mushroom medley or a roasted Autumn squash.
- Appellation: El Dorado
- Vineyard: Fenaughty & Lightner
- Varietal: Counoise, Cinsault, Mourvédre, Grenache, Syrah, Viognier, Marsanne
- Elevation: 2700-2900 ft.
- Soil: Decomposed granite w/ red clay loam
- Harvested: September 12 & October 9, 2020
- Crushed: September 12 & October 10, 2020
- Pressed: September 25 & October 23, 2020
- Fermentation: Wild yeasts & bacteria in wood vats
- Blend: Counoise, Cinsault, Mourvédre, Grenache, Syrah, Viognier
- Barrel aging: 10.5 months in combination of once-used and Neutral French oak barrels, and clay
- Bottled: Unfiltered on July 21, 2020
- Production: 301 cases made
- Release date: Fall 2021
Seated Tastings Tuesday – Sunday 11am-5pm
Fridays we stay open until 7pm every week + BLOCK PARTIES each month for FIRST FRIDAY
WINE SHOP: Bottle purchases & pick up orders, 7 days a week 11am – 5pm
Need help deciding or looking for an older wine? No problem! Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or give us a call at 510-868-9174.