2018 The Bear
Light on its feet and deeper in structure, like a Rhône blend had a lovechild with an Austrian red.
Our first experience in winemaking began in the Rhône Valley and our heart and focus stayed with the Rhône for nearly a decade before we branched out to other varietals. In the early years (2005-13) we crafted a Chateauneuf du Pape inspired blend where the name referenced the original thirteen varietals and the first number was how many we had blended (i.e. — Five Thirteen). Like many creators our inspirations evolved and by 2015 we were crafting a very different wine inspired more by Austrian Reds than Grenache blends from the Southern Rhône. Still working with the same varietals, we found it fascinating that subtle modifications to our winemaking combined with major shifts in blend composition could result in a wholly different wine.
The Bear is light on its feet and deeper in structure, like a Rhône blend had a lovechild with an Austrian red. We often compare and contrast the wines with the analogy of muscular strength between a football player and a yogi. The Bear is our yogi and brings us pleasure from her meditative powers as she slowly reveals her charms over hours if not days.
As the name suggests, The Bear is a wild wine for forest seekers and dwellers alike. Fresh like turned soil, happy like mulberries, fragrant like wild grasses and a rainy field — this wine goes deliciously with fatty sausages, a side of sauerkraut or a sweet roasted Autumn squash.
- Appellation: El Dorado
- Vineyard: Fenaughty & Lightner
- Varietal: Counoise, Cinsault, Mourvédre, Grenache, Syrah, Viognier, Marsanne
- Elevation: 2700-2900 ft.
- Soil: Decomposed granite w/ red clay loam
- Harvested: September 11-24, 2018
- Crushed: September 11 & 25, 2018
- Pressed: September 20 & 25, October 4 & 10, 2018
- Fermentation: Wild yeasts & bacteria in wood vats
- Blend: Counoise, Cinsault, Mourvédre, Grenache, Syrah, Viognier, Marsanne
- Barrel aging: 10.5 months in mix of once used and Neutral French oak barrels and clay
- Bottled: Unfiltered on August 6, 2018
- Production: 211 cases
- Release date: Fall 2020
Looking for older wines? We might have what you are looking for! Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or give us a call at 510-868-9174 and we will do our best to help.